Well it’s just about that time of year again, the time where everyone recaps on their life over the last 12 months and starts to come up with their New Year’s resolutions. Aside from weight loss, a part of living your “best life” will include decluttering your life of the wrong people. To help with this process, I have come up with a tentative list of qualities you should keep in your back pocket as key signs of people you should absolutely NEVER trust under any circumstances. These are people who:
- Pour milk before cereal. People go to jail for crimes less serious than this.
- Don’t like country music
- Don’t like Friends
- Don’t know how to use the proper forms of “your,” “too,” and “their”
- Men with abnormally soft hands. You’re going to introduce this man to your father sweetheart? That’s a joke.
- Prefer PS4 over XBox. Maybe this is a bit of a stretch, but it has NEVER led me astray and I promise it will not let you down either.
- Shave off their eyebrows just to draw them on. What the hell are you doing?
- Don’t like chocolate
- Don’t like Harry Potter
- Have Chihuahuas or Pugs for pets. Don’t get it twisted, these are not dogs. They are rodents and are good for nothing other than biting the crap out of your ankles and shins. They are not cuddly, furry or loving in any sense. They’re about as useful as a goldfish, but that’d be an insult to the goldfish as even they have a greater attention span than humans.
- Don’t use emojis or expressions when they text. Heartless over text? Heartless at best.
- Take days to respond to text messages/phone calls. Especially if the person seems to always be on their phone whenever you are with them…this person is not dependable.
- Don’t like pineapple on pizza
- Don’t like Nickelback. If you’re sitting there thinking “I hate Nickelback,” then go take a listen to “Rockstar,” “Photograph” and “Someday” again, then try to tell me that same line of BS. Yeah, that’s what I thought.
- Tuck every pair of pants into their socks… especially joggers *cringe.*
- Drive the exact speed limit at all times. Sorry, not even that is getting you a five-star rating on UBER.
- Have tattoos on their face. This is not a joke.
- Prefer sherbet over ice cream
- Don’t keep their word
- Always cancel at the last minute
- People with stiletto nails. They’re waiting for the right moment to scratch your eyes out and cut your jugular simultaneously.
- Have reindeer ears/Christmas decorations on their car. Just stop.
Making changes in your life is not an easy thing to do. As I have touched on in previous posts, humans are programmed naturally to stay within their comfort zones. However, all progress can be found just beyond the boundary line of that comfort zone. Letting people go after investing in friendships and relationships is not an easy task, but decluttering negative energy sources from your life needs to be done for the betterment of your health. In order to grow as people, we must not only evaluate the ways we have influenced others, but how others have influenced our lives as well. When looking back on 2018 and reflecting on how you have grown into the person you are now, make note of the people who have both helped and hindered your growth. God puts no one in your life by accident; few people are blessings but most are lessons. Be thankful for all of them, have the wisdom to tell them apart, the courage to walk away from the wrong ones and the strength to move on. Surely your list may look a little different from mine, but hopefully it serves as a good start.